Below are examples of personal injury and malpractice cases for which expert witness services were provided by our child abuse pediatrics expert:
Failure to Diagnose and Failure to Protect: Child Physical Abuse
Despite reports to protective authorities, a young child with multiple episodes of physical child abuse including bruises and head trauma ultimately suffered severe and permanent brain injury. Consultant and expert witness services (for plaintiff) were provided for this case including:
- Differential diagnosis of physical abuse indicators in children.
- Standard of care for medical provider communication with child protective authorities.
- Standard of care for physician recognition and reporting of physical abuse.
Read about this case of missed child abuse/failure to protect by clicking here.
Fatal Child Product Choking and Parental Supervision
A young child fatally choked on a ball bearing from a bicycle being assembled in his home while under the supervision of his parents. Consultant and expert witness services (for defense) were provided for this case including:
- Choking risk factors (size, shape, texture, age, intended environment).
- Child product appropriate usage (labeling, instructions, safety warnings).
- Parental supervision applicable to child’s developmental level.
Read about this case of child choking by clicking here.
Pediatrician Failure to Diagnose and Report Sexual Abuse
A school-aged girl documented her sexual abuse in a diary, shared with her pediatrician by the mother. Despite multiple subsequent visits to the pediatrician, the issues of sexual abuse were not raised or reported to protective authorities or law enforcement. Consultant and expert witness services (for plaintiff) were provided for this case including:
- Process of disclosure of sexual abuse.
- Standard of care for recognition, reporting and management of sexual abuse.
- Medical and mental health care for children presenting with concerns of sexual abuse.
Read about this case of failure to report and diagnose sexual abuse by clicking here.
CIVIL CHILD ABUSE and PRODUCT LIABILITY EXPERT
Expert on missed abuse – 168 Million Dollar Verdict Against NJ DYFS
Expert on missed sexual abuse – 11 Million Dollar Verdict Against Pediatrician
Expert on choking on child toy product
Expert on choking on food product